Level I Dog Training Class
Thursday, June 22, 2023 @ 7:30 pm - 8:15 pm$25
Level I Dog Training Class is for beginner dogs 6+ months of age and those that have moved up from Puppy Class.
Misty Pines’ Classes are designed to teach you, as the dog owner, how to teach your dog basic commands such as sit, down, heel, stay, take a walk, stand, side, good manners, agility obstacles and more. Our classes incorporate real life distractions for your dog to work through. This helps to train reliability and transferability into your dog so they will be successful in various locations. We encourage everyone in the family to be a part of the training process. Training classes are informative, engaging and educational as well as entertaining for your whole family.
The first step towards attending group classes is to attend an Orientation. This prerequisite session will provide the information necessary to prepare you for group classes. Click here to learn more about Orientation.
Level I Dog Training Class Schedule
Tuesdays 4:00 – 4:45 p.m.
Thursdays 1:00 – 1:45 p.m.
Thursdays 7:30 – 8:15 p.m.
Saturdays 12:30 – 1:15 p.m.
Saturdays 2:30 – 3:15 p.m.
Saturdays 3:30 – 4:15 p.m.
$25 per class or 1 punch on Class Pass
The syllabus for our classes follow many of the exercises for the AKC Canine Good Citizen Test (CGC) and the Therapy Dog (TD) Test. Classes focus on obedience, manners and proper socialization with reward based training. Your dog will learn verbal commands, leash signals and hand signals from attending the classes.
Misty Pines does not believe that after a predetermined number of classes your dog will be ready for the next level so progression to the next level of classes is determined by an evaluation. During this evaluation you and your dog will need to demonstrate that you are able to complete a series of required behaviors.
Level I Dog Training Class Evaluation: All evaluations are by appointment and are held during your regularly scheduled class. This evaluation must be scheduled with a trainer. Cost is $25 pass or fail.
- 1 minute Sit/Stay – Handler commands the dog into a sit/stay then increases their distance to the end of 20 foot lead and circles around dog.
- 2 minute Down/Stay – Handler commands the dog into a down/stay, and then increases their distance to end of 20 foot lead.
- Heel/Easy/This way – Demonstrates that the dog can walk on leash without pulling for 1 minute.
- Meet and Greet 6ft. apart – Demonstrate that the dog can remain in heel position while greeting a classmate from 6ft. away.
- Recall off Distraction – Recall 20ft. away from a sit/stay. Dog must come and sit in front of their handler
- Door Greeting – Dog must sit and stay while the owner knocks, rings bell, opens door, and shakes evaluator’s hand. Dog must remain in a sit until the door is completely shut.
- Stand Exam – Dog maintains a stand position for 10 seconds.
- Leave it/Watch – Handler throws treat or toy on ground and the dog must leave the item without lunging towards it.
- Place – Handler sends their dog to a designated place from 6ft. away. Handler may mark spot.
- Spin – Dog rotates 360* counter-clockwise in front of owner.
- Agility – Demonstrates handler’s leadership and ability to identify and direct their dog over the scramble and bridge. Dog must not fall off obstacle.
After Graduation, students will move up to the Level II Class, where you will fine-tune your dog’s repertoire of obedience behaviors and your dog will experience more advanced agility obstacles.
All dogs must be current on Rabies, DHLPP, and Bordetella (Bordetella every 6 months) vaccinations. All dogs must have received inoculations at least 10 days prior to their visit to Misty Pines.